Saturday, January 27, 2007

TAKING OWNERSHIP

On May 15, 1965 Jim Ryun ran a 3:58.3 mile during the Kansas State Championships against purely high school competition.
This has to be one of the greatest track photos of all time!


In my years of coaching I often found myself helping athletes to better realize and achieve their stated goals and on occasion it became very obvious what they could achieve along the way. Therefore, it was common to suggestively state goals in various forms, in the hope that they might embrace the feat as there very own. I call this "TAKING OWNERSHIP". A quality many athletes have much difficulty applying or even conceptualizing upon suggestion. I believe, and can only suggest that this resistance is more an issue of belief, faith, or even trust within a coach athlete relationship. Further, it has been obvious in those years of coaching at the point of hire that there was some doubt, often I found ways of proving myself to enhance the trust. I have also experienced the opposite where no matter how often I proved myself worthy and honest toward an athlete's goals that trust remained an issue. It became evident that relationship, and ownership were critical components to be enlisted in advance.
Additionally, I'm not suggesting that I nor any other coach will always know what is best, but sometimes if the coach is in an objective position some aspects are more visible from the "out side" and the decision is in the hands of the athlete. More simply put, taking ownership enhances an athlete's coach ability, allowing the athlete to realize there may be opportunities to grow, aside what is regarded as the typical coach/athlete relationship (suggesting mainly physical training as a the only variable role). Because 'coaching' is as much about environment, the mind, and even spiritual energy, as it is the quality of relationship between coach and athlete, I believe this to be a fitting post to prepare each reader for the coming ideas. Consider this post a prerequisite to come to terms with the ideas as facts and life proven characteristics and methods of success and I believe most will find the information useful toward enhancing performance.

Here is an excerpt from "THE COURAGE TO RUN" by Jim Ryun, it perfectly describes the process of ownership, in his own words, and how this very idea was/is critical to his goal pursuit.

I had almost completed my first year of running, and I was tired. The Kansas winter was in full fury, dumping several feet of snow. Biting wind whipped incessantly through the streets of my hometown of Wichita. Half frozen, I staggered into Coach Timmons' office a the Wichita East Natatorium, the smell of chlorine and the warm, moist air hitting me simultaneously. It was early, well before the start of the school day, but Timmie was already at his desk.
"How are you doing, Jim?" he asked, setting aside his notepad and leaning back in his chair. In the year since I had begun running, he and I had forged a strong relationship. I went from an unknown sophomore to his top runner, both in cross-country and on the track. I was training harder than I had ever imagined I could, and in the pursuit of the four minute mile.
"Coach, " I said, sagging into the chair in his office, "I'm not sure I can do this." Timmie nodded. "I didn't say it was going to be easy." "I'm not sure how many more mornings I can get up and run in this weather. It's cold, lonely and dark. The milkman is even telling me it's so cold I could freeze my lungs." Coach leaned back in his chair, silent for a moment. "Jim, I can't make you do this," he said. "This is your decision. You have to decide what you want. But I will tell you this. I have never seen a young man with such talent. I think you have the ability to do great things. You've just got to stick in there."
Years later, I would realize that Timmie wanted me to take ownership of the effort. he knew that if I viewed this as Coach wanting me to do it or if I thought that he was saying maybe I could do it, i would view this training as just another thing to do, with no passion involved. During that conversation, I realized that the four-minute mile was something I wanted, and i was willing to passionately pursue it, even on cold, lonely mornings.
The next morning, I was out the door, logging a five-mile run through the snowy streets of Wichita. Mile by mile, as I persevered, the training took hold. It wasn't an overnight transformation, but heading into the 1964 track season, i was a new man. Mentally toughened by the hard solo morning runs in the harsh winters of Kansas, I stepped to the starting lines of races with confidence. -end of entry

2 comments:

Willis said...

Zane
I liked you blog! I look forward to reading it often.
Willis

Summer said...

This really rang true for me. Last week I was having a really tough week and had an almost identical discussion with Coach Jamie. I told him I felt like I was falling to pieces (mentally and physically) and I didn't think I could handle this training volume and I was having doubts about my first half-Ironman in Oct.

He had very similar things to say, but ultimately, left things up to me. I had to take responsibility for what I've decided to undertake.

I set out with a new lease on my training and I'm feeling great now.

By the way, the shoulder felt much better on Saturday. Thanks for the help. I can't say much for my hamstrings, however... (but I've decided that even if it takes me a little longer because those muscles aren't as trained up - no shoulder pain is a better option).

-Summer